Saturday, November 22, 2008

Week 3 and podcast script

I was a little confused on what week we were but here are my thoughts on the podcast and cyberbulling. We should definitely had a physical class for the podcast project. It seemed like there was an assumption that we had background knowledge on who to use this technology. With out the help of my classmates I doubt I would have been able to finish this assignment and hoped I had enough points with out it. I can definately see the advantages to using podcasts in the classroom and will have to play around with the program when I have time.

The reading on cyber bullying was sobering. I will definately have to consider more how I will deal with this issue. I am not sure how big a role cyberbullying will play in the classroom I hope to teach in but I will still feel a responsibility to educate my students on being a responsible technology user.

The question of why I want to be a teacher is actually really hard for me to answer. I have always wanted to be a teacher but the reasons have changed through out the years. When I was 8 and invited the neighbor kids over to play school I was always the teacher, my mom said that this was because I liked to tell people what to do...that was probably true. I always thought teachers had the coolest job, they got to read interesting books, teach kids cool art projects and have summers and holidays off to spend with their families.

When I was in high school I was an assistant at outdoors school for the special needs kids, I wanted to be a teacher then because I loved the outdoors helping others and sharing the cool things I had learned. I loved being around and meeting new people.

In college I wanted to be a teacher simply because it was want I had always wanted to do nothing else seemed to interest me. I was an environmental education major but after they terminated that program and the education program severally limited their spots I graduated with a Sociology degree, I got married and started my family. Since then everything I have done has centered on children and teaching in some form. From owning my own daycare and preschool to being a Girl Scout and Boy Scout leader, teaching Sunday school and Vacation Bible School. I love being around children they are so enthusiastic and eager to learn and investigate the world around them. There is nothing to compare with the look on a child's face when the finally grasp an idea or figure out the answer to a difficult problem or tell you about the exciting book they just read.

The reason I decided to become a teacher now is not a new interest but timing. I am finally at a point in my life that I can pursue my dream of becoming a teacher. My current philosophy of teaching is simply to support and encourage my students desire to learn. To give them the tools they need to explore the world around them. I want to learn techniques and systems to help each child reach thier fullest potential whatever that might be.

I recently asked my children and the teacher that I work with what they thought made a good teacher, my 13 year old son gave the typical answer of "one who is patient leaves you alone and doesn't give you homework". My daughter on the other hand said, "a good teacher is one that is patient and kind and makes learning fun." The teacher I work with at the special needs preschool said that the most important qualities in a teacher are persistence and a good dose of stubbornness. In a school where progress is measured in microscopic increments and over a long period of time, persistence and stubborness are necessary to help a child succeed. I am sure some of my philosophies of education will change over time but my desire to support and encourage children on thier educational journey never will.

No comments: